Can’t decide between red, white, or bubbly? Sadly, not all wine is made equal. Although we love ourselves a glass of sauv blanc on a warm day, red wine really does shine when it comes to health benefits. Whether you’re heading out for a fun night or staying in to Chill or even when taking your meal, here are 5 reasons you should opt for red wine:
1. Heart health – We’ve all heard that red wine is good for your heart, but have you ever wondered why? Red wine contains a ton of heart-healthy compounds that aren’t as prevalent in other alcohols. Resveratrol, flavonoids, and healthy tannins all help protect your heart against everything from heart disease to bad cholesterol formation. Make your heart happy and drink up!
2. Boost immunity – Researchers from the University of Missouri found, for the first time, that resveratrol makes prostate tumour cells more susceptible to radiation treatment, but noted that the dosage needed to have an effect is so high that most people would experience uncomfortable side effects. Further research has shown that red wine halts the progression of lung cancer amazing right?. Red wine contains high level of resveratrol, an antioxidant that fights infection and protects your body against the effects of free radicals. Drinking a glass of vino a few times a week may play a role in preventing you from getting sick in the first place. Red wine might even help prevent diabetes and cancer. Try to refrain from calling it medicine – at least just yet!
3. Stress relief – There’s nothing like cozying up on the couch with a glass of wine after a long day – are we right? Like other alcoholic beverages, red wine can have a calming effect on the nervous system and help us wind down. The biggest benefit of choosing red wine has to do with the antioxidants in the good stuff, which may stimulate a “stress response gene” to help protect your body during times of stress.
4. Anti-aging – We keep hearing that alcohol ages us and causes fine lines and wrinkles, but red wine seems to be the exception (and we’re glad it is). Because of its high levels of antioxidants, red wine can work wonders for your complexion. The antioxidants help with lightening dark spots, soothing inflammation, and even preventing wrinkles! For the best anti-aging results, try not to drink more than one glass of wine per night.
5. Weight loss – “A Glass Of Red Wine Is The Equivalent To An Hour At The Gym” Says New Study. When trying to lose weight, we’re told to cut out any alcohol from our diets ASAP. For the most part this is true, but it might not be with red wine. It’s been said that the resveratrol in red wine may help prevent the body from storing fat (OK, what doesn’t resveratrol help with!?). Because it’s made from grapes, red wine eases digestion in the best possible way. Especially when consuming fatty food and meat.
So instead of going in for high sugar content juices try sipping on some red wine and be amazed at its countless benefits.